Thursday, January 6, 2011

Is Car Insurance the New Beer?

Beer commercials used to be the most entertaining thing on television.
I would sit in front of the tube for hours on Super-bowl Sunday just to see the new Budweiser or Miller ad.
The commercials were funny, crude, and went viral before YouTube became a household name.

But quite possibly the most boring product on the market is usurping beer as commercial king.

Car Insurance.

Yes. Car Insurance.

Companies like Allstate, Geico, Progressive, and State Farm are creating hilarious commercials, that have little to do with car insurance, but definitely have people talking. My favorites are the Allstate Mayhem commercials and the "Weeeee Piggy" Commercial by Geico. Check those two out below, they are hilarious!


So what do you think?
What car insurance company has the best commercials?
Which commercial is your favorite? 
Why do you think the car insurance industry has begun creating these types of commercials instead of the highly product based (and boring) commercials they used to produce? 

Signed,The Girlfriend


3 comments:

  1. I love the Mayhem ones! Soooooo funny and he's totally serious about it too "I'm a teenage girl. My Bff Becky just texted that she kissed Johnny. That's a problem because I like Johnny."

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. To go with the above, that is my favorite mayhem commercial. It's so funny! I also really like the 12 days of Xmas song they redid that has all the commercials in one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally love the gecko commercials because he's so cute. I think the industry has moved in this direction because they are trying to make themselves first in our consideration set when thinking about car insurance. We're hardly responding to commercials anymore so making a boring product like car insurance entertaining and memorable is sure to achieve better response or at least more awareness. When buying a new car, one of my friends needed car insurance, she told me that she actually looked up the various companies online based on the ones she could remember from commercials. They must be doing something right!

    ReplyDelete